Sunday inspiration is here! But before that, I have decided to introduce you with the books that are going through my must-read list.
As I mentioned in my first post of these quote series – I am reading some design and creativity related books and sharing my favorite quotes once in a while.
All of my must-reads you can find for free. And here are the books that I’ve already mentioned or that are meant to be mentioned [soon]:
The Freelancer Handbook – Time Management – The Year Without Pants – Marketing & Conversion – Breaking The Time Barrier – What Matters now – and some other that I’ll share eventually. But now – time for quotes! This time – more about creativity and management.
Those quotes… it’s still a thing for me! See previous post: “Must… read… it… all…”
And absorb all the inspiration and knowledge from further ones as well!
This time I will let images speak!
I have this strange addiction – I adore books.
Like… I would read them 24/7, if I could, I would spend all my money only for books, I would buy books instead of food and more books instead of place to live. Basically – I would do everything just to have at least some books around me all the time.
I love to read in latvian and they definitely need to be paper books, but I’ve come to conclusion that it would be impossible to survive this way. There is this truly heartbreaking story about how I tried to survive without latvian books for altogether almost a year abroad, when I had no place to keep them and no place to buy them… But this one I’ll keep for some other time.
Only a process of holding a paper book will be the real reading for me, but recently I overcame myself and decided to start reading digital material that some people still tend to call a ‘book’. For the sake of design, I found some ‘must reads’ (free for starters). There are many resources to find such books, so I looked them through and saved the ones that could cross my point of interest and just changed from reading twitter to reading books.
The thing that I’m trying to say with all this is that I started to gather quotes from those books that I will eventually reveal to you. Lets just start here!
basically – this is the post where i’m really pissed off.
when did we stop doing things for ourselves? being just as we are and caring just for the happiness?
oh, i miss those times so very, very badly! and i don’t blame age. i blame century.
i always wonder – how anyones instagram, twitter or facebook would look like if there would be no one to impress? recently i read one great quote – all our information on timelines for others appear just for few seconds, sometimes not even a blink of an eye. still – we’re struggling so hard to show the best of us, leave the greatest impression and get best reviews. can’t really decide – which is sadder – the fact that we’re trying to impress unknown people or the fact that we feel urge to impress our friends?
lets just bring one pure smile for no one else, but ourselves
for those bicycle rides around the yard with just two random friends when no one on facebook could liked your fail in the race (sad for the winner, tho), for analog photos that only you and your best friends saw, for videos that were watched by gathering family around, cakes that were baked for eating (not teasing others on instagram). for those nights when talks mattered and stars weren’t outshined by screens. oh, i miss those times ..
right about now i’m feeling like all those good times are just blurry stories, blast from the past that are now going to be told to our grandchildren as mythical stories about some people and some times in never, ever land… at least somehow we all will be legends!
…i kept telling people – i came to poland just because… and then… well, you know, many reasons why ‘just because’. after all – like many of my fellow volunteers, somehow i got to poland by mistake. and kind of blindfolded as well. what turned out of this blindfolded journey? amazing 2 months that will be kept as great addition to my so far so wonderful year 2014.
as tribute to my wonderful friends and colleagues from poland that are missed very badly, i’ll collect here some of our quotes. be aware that most of them will be with no big sense, but i hope that at least for someone will bring up some great memory from time we spent together! just because of awareness – i’ve kept all of names for myself. if you’re recognizing yourself of someone else… – i have no idea what you’re talking about!
* 2 guys. ‘can i blow my noise in your shirt?’ – *expressive and fast ‘angry’ reaction follows* ‘i’ll blow you!!!!!!’
* i was making sandwiches, meanwhile kids are dying at presentation, but after all – it’s not africa around here, you know…
* ‘usually people start sentences with swearwords, you – with 2 minute laughter’ – ‘should i start using swearwords?’ – ‘that would be faster for sure…’
* instead of disco kids tonight will have fireworks with burning speakers
* if every day you are saying that it is your last day, one day you’ll be true!
* dangerous kurvas (spanish and polish included)
*’lets make b eerpong party tomorrow!’ – ‘we just need a lot of beer’ – ‘and a lot of pong’ #badjokewednesday
* ’my socks are smelling like socks and my scarf is smelling like socks as well…’
* drunk guy by the wall ‘i’m so hot, but the wall is so cold!’
* ’turkish people don’t understand english, so when someone is saying that we’re cleaning kitchen ourselves, they don’t understand it…’
* ’it’s so cold in latvia, so you just need to drink there’
* ’my home city is small. like half of latvia’
* ’why are they coming from klodzko here so often?’ – ‘because we have no people here?’ – ‘no, because they have no free food there…’
* ’i like to think about things. i think about them and that’s it’
* ’what’s wrong with them? why they have same shirt? are they twins?’ – ‘no. they’re just… teenagers’
* ’film a short movie’ – ‘our room is like horror movie…’
* ’how many kids we lost today?’ – ‘only one’ – ‘oh, that’s a good day then!’
* ’this could be the moment when i should stop talking…’ – ‘there always is this moment, but you always somehow pass it’
* ’there are only two places you can find cups – in the sink, dirty, or in the washing machine… although dirty’
* ’you know it’s bad when even latvians are joking about latvians’
and after all, one golden quote from beginning of our trip – just after we got out of 22 hour ride in buses and trains to poland
*’even after drinking we’re not so stinky…’
THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING MY VERY DEAR SUNSHINES FOR TWO MONTHS AND EVER AFTER! :)
(Or you can call it celebration of my blogs 3rd birthday)
Once I had this wonderful tradition to post some quotes or highlights from my trips. I did it with our roadtrip to Slovakia, when I went to Denmark for the second time and the first one is captured somewhere as well.. and few more times that I’m too lazy to look for… anyhow – back on track. There have been some trips meanwhile I was quiet, but this is the one that i need to engrave here for sure (thanks for being worth it!). So Germany – Munich it was!
- First of all, you can’t come to Germany if you don’t know that women and beer you push downstairs
- We got stuck in traffic even on highroad. Those are some skills over here!
- You can’t meet on the internet in Germany, because internet is so slow.
- Ieva goes into huge pizzeria to find toilet. Comment – ‘if you find yourself in train station, you know, you missed the toilet’.
- In Turkish streets even sprite is Turkish
- If mountain will be crushing or air tram falling down, you won’t find time to be scared, so no worries!
- 8 p.m.? Bars? Streets full of happy people walking home from work? Oh, wait, no, you already missed bedtime…
- *cooking some pies* ‘How it should look like when it’s ready?’ – ‘Warm’
- And then he wakes up at 5 a.m., asks what am i doing, puts up ‘are you gonna be my girl’ and walks around the room with satisfied smile on his face ‘oh, such a wonderful morning!’ (Is it? Really?)
- Went abroad to find out that my paradise looks like big bookshelves and huge, puffy bed. No, actually Munich itself wasn’t so bad either : )
Round, round, round it goes… so see you next time, Germany! (If you’re up for bringing me to Berlin, I’m just here!)
bet visa iesākumā šis
jau kopš dienas, kad sākās sarakste ar nosaukumu, kuru es atkal neatceros, es solu, ka pienāks diena, kad tiks izdota grāmata. tomēr grāmatai tajā visā pārāk daudz cenzūras cienīgu materiālu… tomēr laiks joprojām iet un es joprojām saku, ka izdošu grāmatu. jau sen vien velns zina, par ko tā īsti būs. un jo dziļākā peklē ir noslēpts noslēpums – kad. bet tieši tāpēc ar kaut ko beidzot ir jāsāk. un, lai piedod man jaunkundze, kuras vārdu es varu arī mainīt, bet visi tāpat zinās, kas ir šo sarunu līdzdalībniece… varbūt grāmatas vietā izstādi uztaisīt?